Ok. I have to tell you a secret. Before last month, I had never purchased ground chicken. In my whole life. I have no idea why. I bought it on a whim, which wasn't really a whim it was actually a super sale, and thought "oh wow! I bet there are no recipes out there for this!". What the heck?! HELLO did I forget that pinterest existed or something? There were recipes galore! And my eyeballs almost popped out of my head and I'm pretty sure I will be adding ground chicken to my shopping cart from here forward.
I started with some simple ground chicken for tacos and they turned out great. I then moved on up to some chicken parm meatballs and they were even more great! So! I had to annoy everyone and take too many pictures before allowing everyone to eat and it was totally worth it. No regrets.
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
1 package of ground chicken (16oz)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1/3c parmesan cheese
pinch of salt
tomato sauce (whatever kind you like, about 12-16oz or whatever size jar you normally use)
handful of shredded mozzarella cheese, to top
1) In large, deep, skillet heat about 3 Tbs olive oil
2) In separate bowl, ix together everything but the tomato sauce and mozz. cheese.
3) Wet hands, and gently make balls, placing them into the pan as you make them. These will feel bretty loose and hard to shape. They firm up a lot when cooking. I find that if I make sure my hands are wet it helps a ton.
4) Cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, turning so that they brown on all sides
5) Pour over the jar of sauce, and cover, cooking another 5 minutes or until cooked through
6) Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, and pop in the oven under the broiler until cheese is browned
7) Serve with your favorite pasta!