January 27, 2014

7 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues

Ok you guys, I'm gonna be serious with you for just a sec. You see, I'm a warm weather girl. I love shorts and tanks and pools and sun. Lot's and lot's of sun. And once Christmas is over and I've made it to work in sub 40 for over a week, I start to get a bit down. It always feels silly to think about it once the winter has passed, sort of like retelling a bad dream that is nonsensical. But when winter is here, I know it's real. The cold months can be hard on some people, I am one of them, and I know I'm not the only one. So this year I've decided to take some real action against these winter blues, want to join?

My top 7 recommendations to beat the winter blues until Spring arrives;

1. Get some exercise


I know, I know, everyone is all about the exercise this time of year. But honestly, it's as good of a time as any! Especially since winter usually means less time outdoors and less "active" time in general. I splurged and got myself a fitbit. Have you heard of it? It tracks movement and syncs everything up to the app on your phone. Sweet technology of the future!

2. Make stuff


 Crafts, food, something! Try making something that you've never made before. For me, creating always helps to bring my spirit up. Need some ideas in the kitchen? How about finally trying to make those biscuits from scratch? Or maybe homemade pizza, filling your whole kitchen with the smells of fresh bread and melted cheese. Yummmm.

3. Send stuff


Do you remember being little, and loving getting mail? I had a handful of pen pals in different cities, because we moved a lot. Here's the awesome thing, getting mail is still fun! There's something about seeing a nice envelope with handwriting on it (first sign it's not a bill!). So bust out that old stationary, bonus points if it's liza frank, and send some good old fashioned mail. You'll feel great knowing you're sending a little happy. And hey, you might get something back in return!

4. Get some sun


This one is the hardest in the winter! All I want to do is stay inside, and drink cocoa, and stay as far away from the cold as possible. But, I will say, bundling up and heading outside for a brisk walk does usually help to bring my spirits up. Of course, my cold maxes out around 20 degrees. Those of you up north in the negatives? Just make sure you're super bundled.

5. Spend time with friends and family


Celebrate, laugh, play, enjoy. Commit to hosting people or having a friend over just to hang out. All of these things can help to raise the spirits.

6. Go to church


I'll tell you what, having a community, that literally celebrates seeing your face once a week, is pretty awesome. Socializing with people that you don't see on a daily basis but who are still unconditionally welcoming, is better still. And most of all, knowing that everyone is there to celebrate the larger purpose, the bigger plan, and a shared goal? An excellent feeling to renew the spirit. Haven't been in awhile? Now's an excellent time to start up again. Not sure where to start? Try asking friends. You might be pleasantly surprised with how many people are genuinely excited to share their experience with you.

7. Make Plans


All of the above are easy for anyone to talk about. The saying, easier said than done, comes to mind. So make plans, write in your planner with pen, schedule your time. When the winter blues hit hard, it's easy for your brain to convince itself that you'd rather do nothing. So stay a step ahead, make yourself accountable to do things this winter. The best part? Spring is coming. I promise.

L

Linking up with Molly today!

still being [molly]

2 comments:

  1. Love these tips Lauren - I need to get a FitBit! That thing sounds exciting and definitely motivating!! Plus it will totally go with my stacks of bracelets. :)
    xoxo,
    Nikki at www.bedazzlesafterdark.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki! Ya, the FitBit definitely makes me feel like I'm living in the future. However, as soon as they come up with something a taaaad more stylish that a giant rubber bracelet, I'll be rushing to grab it off the shelves. Ha!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...